Thursday, May 31, 2007

Pydev release 1.3.4 and first impressions on Eclipse 3.3

Ok, 1.3.4 is out. The major changes were on the debugger (fixing bugs that were introduced in 1.3.3, given some major refactorings in its structure -- mostly to achieve a better performance -- so, all should be working again).

Also, I've downloaded and installed Eclipse 3.3 to start trying pydev with it. Mostly the experience has been nice...

The new diff is what I liked best. It now gives you not only the lines that changed on a first glance, but also shows you what actually changed, without having to go to 'next change' all the time -- pretty nice.

There were also some new things to learn: the startup.jar is now gone, so, if you do headless builds like me, you have to use eclipsec.exe instead of java -jar startup.jar -- which is something nice, but knowing which jar it uses is still something that may be handy (if you're doing profilings and need that jar, you can probably go to the configuration details and see how it was actually launched to use the same command-line -- haven't tested it, but it should work).

And the weirdest thing I found was that Ctrl+F11 doesn't always rerun the last run, it tries to find a configuration or something like that (probably for the project?) -- as I do tons of unit-tests and usually just do F9 in pydev to run the current editor and then just do Ctrl+F11 to re-run it again, I think that the modus operandi was nicer before for me -- fortunately, that is something that can be set in the preferences, so, I got to the old style and it works again as it used to.

Also, it seems that the java process is still alive when I finish eclipse. That may actually be a pydev bug (I've already had a report about it), so, I'll start to check if I can fix it (or if that's unrelated to pydev).

All in all, pydev seems to be behaving nicely with Eclipse 3.3 (aside from that bug), I've been able to build it without any code-changes, so, it seems pretty backward-compatible (but that's something that only time will tell).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, did you do something magical to code completion in version 1.3.4? Suddenly, code completion is lightning fast, and is doing completions that it was missing before.

It's back to being awesome again.

Keep it up,
Scott

Fabio Zadrozny said...

This release had some performance optimizations... nice that you could 'feel it' ;-)

Cheers,

Fabio