Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Step-by-step

Today I spent a little time at the code, most specifically code completion...

Well, basically, after staring at it for a while, I decided to refactor it a bit... Thing is, no unit-tests... Damn, yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking, how does someone write without them? Fool!

Well, what can I say, I use unit-tests all the time, and discovered that they're really useful. -- TDD is a wonderful way of doing things --, that is, if the system is going to grow and you're going to mess a lot with it, as for PyDev, really, it started only as a hobby! Sometimes I messed a little with it, Aleks had done most of the work at that time, and didn't care much about unit-testing for PyDev too... just a for fun project anyway right?!?

Thing is, it is growing... and I'm starting to be concerned in messing with some code areas, as I know that lot's of people are already using it... So, I decided to add some unit-testing to it... Weird how things seem to evolve much better like that hum?!?

Anyway, that got me thinking, is PyDev still only a hobby for me? Do hobbies really require all that much effort? Right now, I cannot see a long distance between it and my job (only that my job pays a lot better)... got me thinking you know...

I guess I really like coding, and getting new stuff to work, hell, what I like most is seeing a project grow, especially in a sustainable way, as I think PyDev is growing until now...

Is there a point in this? Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure... I guess I just wanted to ramble a little...

No comments: